Christians believe that:
· The universe was brought into being by a loving God. Everything – and every person – in the universe is precious to God.
· God sent his own Son, Jesus Christ, to live as one of us, to show us what he is like, and to offer us his eternal life.
· God gives us his Holy Spirit to guide, comfort and strengthen us.
· God wants us all to know him and love him, and to share his love with everyone.
· God gives us free will to make our own decisions. Often, we let him down. But whatever our failings or mistakes, God loves us.
· Faith in God does not insulate us from illness, evil or unhappy events in our lives. But God will give us the strength to face these when they happen, and promises us eternal joy and peace in heaven.
Who was Jesus Christ?
Jesus was born about 2000 years ago, in what is now Israel.
He grew up in Nazareth with Mary and Joseph, and spent about three years teaching about God’s kingdom and healing the sick. He had many followers – his disciples.
His teaching challenged the Jewish leaders and he was crucified – hung on a cross to die – by the occupying Roman government. His body was buried. But he rose from the tomb on the third day – the first Easter Sunday. In the following weeks, many saw him risen alive again
We believe that through his crucifixion Jesus took upon himself all our wrongdoing and suffering. Through his rising to new life, we too are offered eternal life.
After Jesus returned to God the Father, to God’s Kingdom, the Holy Spirit was poured out on his followers.
Since then Christianity has spread throughout the world.
What is the Bible?
The word ‘Bible’ means ‘book’. The Holy Bible includes many books – history, literature, prophecy and poetry. It tells the story of God’s love for us, from the very beginning of the universe to the early days of the Christian church.
The books of the New Testament are especially important to Christians. The Four Gospels (the word ‘Gospel’ means ‘Good News’) of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, written by followers of Jesus, describe the life, work and teaching of Jesus. Other books in the New Testament describe the work of the early Christians.
Want to explore the Christian faith further?